Thursday, September 26, 2013

Camping with mosquitoes

Just to help us remember.... :) We took a last minute camping trip last Friday night - to a campground all of 15 minutes away from us. The weather is getting cold very quickly and Matt has really wanted to camp. I threw everything in the car and we picked Matt up from his vanpool and headed out. It was perfect weather. We explored the campground - went to the store to buy bug repellent - made smores around the campfire - went to the store to buy pullups..... (the store was only 5 min away). We brought the kids scooters and Caleb's bike. They had a great time on all those paved roads. This campground is near a lake so we headed out that way on a walk. We passed a group of scouts sitting around a campfire, then walked out towards the beach. The water is low so it's quite a ways out and through quite a few weeds. Matt looks back and says - "I think the scouts are watching us." Not long after we find out why..... they were waiting for the fun to begin. We started to get bitten by a few mosquitoes, then a few more, and more and more until we were literally running back towards the campground for cover. Maggie was in front of me - there were probably 50 mosquitoes on her shirt and legs. We had sprayed everyone down but not well enough for that attack :) We were all running and swatting and screaming in some cases..... Hailey hates mosquitoes more than she hates bees. I don't think that is an adventure the kids will soon forget :) The next day we found an area of beach that was thankfully - mosquito free. I think that time at the beach was probably the kids favorite part of the trip. As a practice run I would say it went fairly well. Caleb didn't go to sleep forever because he doesn't like the feel of his sleeping bag. He finally laid on top of it with my jacket covering him. Once he was alseep I had to sneak the bag over him since it was so cold. Everytime he woke up he would get back on top and ask for my jacket. I think I need to get a fleece insert or something because he slept on top of it the last time too...... I also hated the inside of sleeping bags as a kid. My Mom sewed a sheet into mine to help (thanks Mom!).

No comments: